The Loretto is formerly Loretto Abbey Day School, a heritage building on Brunswick Avenue in the Annex. The Loretto involved a complex restoration and contemporary glass and steel addition to the original heritage structure. Additionally, 13 contemporary townhomes were constructed in the former yard and now frame an intimate green courtyard flanked with a common use amenities pavilion.
City of Toronto, www.toronto.ca. By-Law No. 751-2004:
Opening as the Loretto Abbey Day School, the building was completed in 1914 for the Sisters of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin (or Loretto Sisters) as an elementary and secondary school for female students with accommodation for the students and the sisters. The institution was renamed Loretto Abbey College School in 1918 and remained in this location throughout the 20th century. Toronto architect Neil Begg designed the structure with features of Edwardian Classicism, applying Beaux-Arts design principles in the scale, the tripartite organization of the west facade, and the application of Classical elements. Loretto Abbey School is located on the east side of Brunswick Avenue, north of Lowther Avenue, where it terminates the vista looking east from Barton Avenue. A prominent feature of the Annex neighbourhood, Loretto Abbey School is architecturally significant as an important example of early 20th-century scholastic design.