|blog | forum | post condo listings FREE|
March 14, 2012
by: Dan Hopkins
SORT, DOWNSIZE AND ORGANIZE NOW FOR A STRESS-FREE SPRING AND A HAPPIER SUMMER
Spring is the season of new beginnings. But it can be hard to appreciate if you’re stuck in the house trying to sift through the accumulation of winter clutter.
Fortunately there are some easy techniques to help get a jumpstart on spring cleaning. The following steps will help get the house organized and allow you to enjoy the new season, clutter-free.
We recommend the following tips to get organized this spring:
• Start by sorting and organizing closets. If there is limited closet space, consider storing winter clothing in the attic, basement or garage. Wardrobe boxes offer excellent space for hanging coats, sweaters and snow pants.
• Sort out items no longer used or worn. If it hasn’t been worn in more than a year, then it probably won’t be again. Set aside a couple empty boxes for donations or items to sell.
• Use sturdy boxes with dividers for packing breakables. Make sure cardboard boxes are structurally sound. Dish-pack boxes with adjustable inserts that form individual cells are a great option for fragile items.
• Once closets are organized, do the same in other storage areas like the attic or garage?
• Think green. Survey local recycling options to find the most convenient solution for recyclables. Organize recyclables by category: plastic, glass, aluminum, paper, cardboard, etc.
• Care for hazardous materials. Be conscientious about the materials being disposed. Toxic items such as paint, batteries, house cleaning products, automobile oils, pesticides, and fertilizers are dangerous to transport and should not be thrown away with nontoxic garbage. These items should be taken to specialized depots.
• Concentrate on disinfecting spaces. Change air filters, rotate mattresses and vacuum under furniture.
Other Articles by Dan Hopkins:
ABOUT TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® – CANADA
In 2005, TMT International awarded its first master franchise in Canada to TMT Franchising Corp - a division of the Heron Capital Corporation. The Canadian TMT Master Franchise company currently has a customer referral rate of 94 per cent with fourteen Ontario locations servicing London, Hamilton, Halton, Mississauga North, Mississauga South, Brampton, Etobicoke, Toronto Mid-Town, Toronto East, Oshawa, Barrie, Newmarket / Aurora, Kingston and Ottawa. Visit www.twomen.ca.
Dan Hopkins is Chief Operating Officer, TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® - CANADA
ABOUT TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®